Hobrecht Lighting in Sacramento has been providing the best lighting solutions to the residents of Sacramento for over 100 years. We specialize in all types of lighting, from home lighting, outdoor lighting, and specialized lighting, such as landscape lighting, and bedroom lighting. In our last blog post, we talked about the benefits of track lighting, which is the best way to get focused lighting and multiple light fixtures from one wired source. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the steps to take to install track lighting in your home. Visit our lighting showroom today!
HOW TO INSTALL TRACK LIGHTING
- Install the mounting plate. With track lighting, you can use the same existing switch-equipped outlet as the lighting you are replacing. All you’ll need is a screwdriver and a drill. Shut off the power to the service panel before performing any electrical wiring in your home or office. Simply splice the house wires to the plate leads and then connect the ground wire to the plate and to the box if it is metal. Then screw the plate to the box snug against the ceiling with the wired all within the box.
- Measure for mounting the track lighting. You’ll want to make sure the mounting plate is centered, so measure to see how far its edges will be from the wall. Using a pencil, mark the ceiling so you don’t mess up the holes.
- Attach the track to the mounting plate. You may need an assistant to help attach the track, depending on the size of your mounting track. Have your assistant hold the track in place, while you anchor the track to the plate.
- Make sure the track is secure. Try to secure your track plate to a stud instead of to the drywall itself. Most tracks just snap onto the plate, and then use a screw at the available studs or joists. If there are no joists or you can’t find them, then simply use plastic anchors and adhere with screws.
- Install the conductors. The live-end conductor and the dead-end conductor are safety features that go on the ends since the track is the part that actually conducts the electricity. This piece covers the mounting plate.
- Install the corners. The corners of your track lighting system covers the ends of your track, making it look nice.
- Install the heads. The heads are the light fixtures. Each head has tabs that not only connect to the power, but also secures the head to the track.
HOW HOBRECHT LIGHTING CAN HELP
Installing track lighting can be tricky, and you may want to call a professional electrician for help if you don’t want to do DIY work. Some pieces of your track need to be cut precisely in order for the splicing to connect correctly. When installing any electrical device, safety is paramount.
Track lighting is very popular for kitchen lighting since track lighting can reach odd corners and workstations. The heads of your track lighting can run anywhere along the track, be positioned and turned any way if you have the correct lighting fixture, such as a canister light, and even be positioned to shine over your shoulder for that perfect light. Another popular option Hobrecht Lighting sees in our lighting design is to install track lighting over your kitchen island and use pendant lights to create a beautiful space.
Track lighting can also be used in your outdoor space as well, either to shine powerful lights on your outdoor dining area so you can enjoy cool summer nights on the porch, or to provide lighting solutions to your workshop or shed. Track lighting is also great for barns since the light can be shone in your horse’s stall for veterinary work and since the horse often moves of its own volition, track lighting can be priceless (take it from us, it’s much easier to move lighting than a horse!). Track lighting is relatively cheap to install when compared to other lighting solutions, such as recessed lighting, and with its ability to be moved, is much more versatile.
Hobrecht Lighting in Sacramento is passionate about supplying you with the lighting solutions you need. We have the best lighting designers available for consultation. Visit our incredible lighting showroom in Sacramento for lighting ideas, or book an appointment with an expert lighting designer today!